Saturday, November 12, 2011

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED . . .

There's learning hard lessons, and then there's learning lessons the hard way. I seem to be prone to the latter more often than I care for. Regardless, I have learned alot in my almost-32 years on this earth, and I feel I should pass along some of these hard-learned lessons in hopes that it might spare a few hearts from alot of stress, pain and anxiety.  So for those of you who are NOT like me, and are wise enough to learn from the mistakes of others, haha,. here they are:

32 Things I have learned....

1.  The learning curve for raising children is a steep one; It requires a ton of patience, and a sense of humour!
2.  When you don't know whether to laugh or cry, choose to laugh. Sometimes I do both at the same time.
3.You can't run FROM your problems, but going FOR a run can help find perspective..
4.  No one is in control of your happiness except for YOU. Happiness is a choice, it's not based on circumstance.
5. Stepping on "Lego" toys pieces still hurts, no matter how old you are!
6.  People will only treat you the way you allow them to.  You need to stand up for yourself if you want respect.
7. Occasionally, ice cream really IS the best thing to eat for dinner!.
8. I  didn't fully appreciate how much my parents did for me, until I was a parent myself.
9. Junk is something you keep for years and then throw away 2 weeks before you need it.
10. Everyone in this life will at some point let you down or hurt you. You just have to decide which ones are worth suffering for. (Paraphrased quote from Bob Marley)
11. Your mind is a battlefield. Defend it
12. I can't choose which life paths my children will take, all I can do is prepare them for the journey.
13. Dance in the rain. Seriously.  Do it.
14. Your friends are the "family" you get to choose,  so choose wisely.
15. I can't always trust my feelings, because I can feel 20 different ways about the same thing in 5 minutes.
16. I may not FEEL like doing the "right thing" but I can still CHOOSE to do it anyway.
17.  Noone on earth has all the answers.  Not even Mom.
18.  You can grow bitter, or you can grow better.
19.  Achieving important goals makes me feel so good I want to set more!
20. Obstacles are nothing to be afraid of, they are just opportunities in disguise.
21. "Giving up" is not something I am accustomed to, but sometimes the healthiest choice is actually to drop my gloves and step out of the ring.
22. Trust is the willingness to risk betrayal. You can't wait for the risk to be eliminated before you trust someone, cause the risk will always be there.  (That's where the trust comes in.)
23. Just because you love someone, doesn't mean they're any good for you. If you are suffering in an abusive relationship, and you need help to get out,  go to http://www.thehotline.org/  or contact your local shelter and counselling/resource centre. For children under the age of 18 suffering in an abusive family situation, go to http://www.childhelp.org/pages/hotline 
24. Leaving the cell phone turned off for a weekend can do wonders for the soul.(freeeeeedooooooom!)
25. Wearing suncreen today will prevent the "leather handbag" look tomorrow, haha
26. I'm alot stronger than I ever thought I was. So are you. Our greatest strengths grow out of our biggest weaknesses.  ( And I have alot of weaknesses, haha!)
27. People come into your life for a Reason, a Season, or a Lifetime. 
28. Asparagus makes your pee smell funny!
29. Just.   Breathe
30. <---- Really isnt such a scary number!
31. LISTEN before you speak,  THINK before you act.
32. Stop believing your soulmate is simply your perfect match.   "...a true soulmate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that's holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave." (from the book 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert)

I hope that some of these were helpful, or inspiring, or at least amusing -  even if it was just to put a smile on your face!

Huge hugs and life lessons from my heart to yours,
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment